S&R IAU Branch, UN Habitat sign MOU for cooperation

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 21:59

A memorandum of understanding for cooperation has been signed between Islamic Azad University Science & Research Branch and UN Habitat to cooperate in activities in the field of transfer of expertise and experience in urban development, climate change, housing and architecture.

635701399507789380

According to ANA, based on this agreement, S & R IAU Branch will cooperate with UN Habitat to establish and strengthen the Center for Urban Development and Architecture, holding lectures and training programs.

The goal of this memorandum is to provide a cooperation framework for UN Habitat and S & R Branch to cooperate professionally and academically in fields related to urban planning, with focus on green and sustainable urban development, capacity building, urban development, housing, architecture, climate change and education.

This cooperation will involve communication with educational institutions to introduce Habitat and sharing knowledge and experience, holding workshops, conferences and educational courses for students and experts in issues related to urban development, housing, architecture and Climate Changes.

Other items on the agenda for the agreement are converting S&R branch into a sustainable, green university and cooperation in building and supporting a research center for urban development and architecture within this branch.

Dr. Ali Abbaspour, head of the IAU Science and Research Branch stressed the importance of purposeful research projects and said: "Theses, and research papers should be aimed at solving current issues in the country, which of course can overlap with other nations in the world."

Dr. Abbaspour emphasized the readiness and capacity of this branch to design and implement international research projects and stated: "S and R Branch has scientific and research capacities which support its scientific cooperation with the UN and its sub-divisions; I believe these scientific cooperation will have positive effects on the academic society."

 The representative of UN Habitat in Iran, Siamak Moghaddam, commented that the Iranian urban population has its own special issues which need to be anticipated and managed, considering that 72% of the country live in urban areas and the remaining 28% has an urban lifestyle.

Mr. Moghaddam stated that the specific capacities of S & R Branch have motivated UN Habitat to sign this MOU and that the exchange of expertise with this branch is one of the important goals in advancing this agreement. He believes that a free range of activities for universities in international fora can lead to unique opportunities for research beyond national borders.

The memorandum has been signed thanks to the efforts of the department of international affairs of S &R branch, and its implementation will be the responsibility of the School of Arts and Architecture of the university.

The UN Habitat Agency cooperates with governments to promote and enhance cooperation with all partners, including local authorities, the private sector and non-governmental organizations in implementing the Habitat Agenda and Millennium Development Goals to improve the lives of 100 million people who dwell in slums by the year 2020.

Keywords

Opinions


Popular News

Latest News